4. Install Software
Software for FRDMGD3160HBIEVM is distributed with the FlexGUI tool (available on NXP.com). Necessary firmware comes pre-installed on the FRDM-KL25Z with the kit.
Even if the user intends to test with other software or PWM, it is recommended to install this software as a backup or to help debugging.
4.1 Installing FlexGUI on Your Computer
The latest version of FlexGUI supports the GD3100 and GD3160. It is designed to run on any Windows 10 or Windows 8 based operating system. To install the software, do the following:
and click Download.
- When the FlexGUI software page appears, click Download and select the version associated with your PC operating system.
FlexGUI wizard creates a shortcut and an NXP FlexGUI icon appears on the desktop. By default, the FlexGUI executable file is installed at
C:\flexgui-app-des-gd31xx.exe. Installing the device drivers overwrites any previous FlexGUI installation and replaces it with a current version containing the GD31xx drivers. However, configuration files (
.spi) from the previous version remain intact.
4.2 Configuring the FRDM-KL25Z Microcode
By default, the FRDM-KL25Z delivered with this kit is preprogrammed with the current and most up-to-date firmware available for the kit.
A way to check quickly that the microcode is programmed and the board is functioning properly, is to plug the KL25Z into the computer, open FlexGUI and verify that the software version at the bottom is 6.4 or later.
If a loss of functionality following a board reset, reprogramming or a corrupted data issue, the microcode may be rewritten per the following steps:
- To clear the memory and place the board in boot loader mode, hold down the reset button while plugging a USB cable into the OpenSDA USB port
- Verify that the board appears as a BOOTLOADER device and continue with step 3. If the board appears as KL25Z, you may go to step 6
- Download the Firmware Apps
.zip archive from the PEmicro OpenSDA webpage (OpenSDA ). Validate your email address to access the files
- Find the most recent
MDS-DEBUG-FRDM-KL25Z_Pemicro_v118.SDA and copy/drag-and-drop into the BOOTLOADER device
- Reboot the board by unplugging and replugging the connection to the OpenSDA port. Verify now that the device appears as a KL25Z device to continue
Locate the most recent KL25Z firmware; which is distributed as part of the FlexGUI package.
- From the FlexGUI install directory, which is located in the
flexgui-app-des-gd31xx\bin folder and is named in the form “
- This .bin file is a product/family-specific configuration file for FRDM-KL25Z containing the pin definitions, SPI/PWM generation code and pin mapping assignments necessary to interface with the translator board as part of FRDMGD3160HBIEVM
With the KL25Z still plugged through the OpenSDA port, copy/drag-and-drop the .bin file into the KL25Z device memory. Once done, disconnect the USB and plug into the other USB port, labeled KL25Z
- The device may not appear as a distinct device to the computer while connected through the KL25Z USB port, this is normal
The FRDM-KL25Z board is now fully set up to work with FRDMGD3160HBIEVM and the FlexGUI
- There is no software stored or present on either the driver or translator boards, only on the FRDM-KL25Z MCU board
All uploaded firmware is stored in non-volatile memory until the reset button is hit on the FRDM-KL25Z. There is no need to repeat this process upon every power up, and there is no loss of data associated with a single unplug event.
4.3 Ready to Use
Start embedded application development.