1. Get Started
The NXP analog product development boards provide an easy-to-use platform for evaluating NXP products. The boards support a range of analog, mixed-signal and power
solutions. They incorporate monolithic integrated circuits and system-in-package devices that use proven high-volume technology. NXP products offer longer battery life,
a smaller form factor, reduced component counts, lower cost and improved performance in powering state-of-the-art systems.
This page will guide you through the process of setting up and using the EV- INVERTERHDBT enablement kit.
1.1 Kit Contents and Packing List
The EV-INVERTERHDBT kit contents include:
- MCU control board (EV-CONTROLEVMHD)
- Driver control board (EV-POWEREVBHDBT)
- 3-phase connection bus bars
- Software license
- Quick start guide
1.2 Additional Hardware
In order to use the EV-INVERTERHDBT IGBT enablement kit, customers must provide some additional hardware beyond what is contained in the kit. The amount of additional
hardware required depends on whether the customer is using the Vepco PIM or is designing their own EV Inverter platform.
All customers (Vepco PIM users included) must provide the following items:
- Low voltage DC power supply: A 12 VDC power supply for the inverter
- High-voltage DC power supply: Up to 500 VDC, 400 A (or similar) for the motor
Kvaser Leaf Light HS v2 USB-CAN interface or comparable USB-CAN interface adapter (available
PEMicro Multilink debug probe: To connect the EV-CONTROLEVMHD board to the PC-based GUI (available
- Motor: A 3-phase permanent magnet synchronous motor
- High-voltage cabling (2-wire): For high-voltage connections from high-voltage DC power supply into the PIM
- High-voltage cabling (3-wire): For high-voltage connections from the PIM to the motor
- Low-voltage cabling: For low-voltage connections from the 12 VDC power supply to the PIM
In addition to the required equipment listed above, customers who choose to design their own inverter platform must also provide the following:
P6 footprint IGBT module: P6 footprint IGBT module like onsemi VE-TrackTM, Infineon HybridPACKTM are compatible with NXP EV-INVERTERHDBT enablement kit.
IGBT HybridPACK module: Available for purchase
here from StarPower Europe AG by
authorized customers of the NXP EV-INVERTERHDBT enablement kit
Cooling plate or water jacket for SiC or IGBT P6 footprint module: The cooling plate serves as the cooling structure interface for the SiC or IGBT
- Bus bar: Used to connect the DC link capacitors to the IGBT module and to provide links to the DC high-voltage/high current power supply.
DC link capacitor: Four KEMET C4AQIEW6100A3BJ 100 μF 800 VDC RAD capacitors (available
) connected in parallel are used for inverter baseline performance measurements. The selected capacitors must be compatible with the IGBT or SiC module listed above
and its intended operating voltages.
23-position signal connector (optional): Ampseal (PN 770680-1) connector (available
here ) to connect the PIM to a 3-Phase motor
- High-voltage shielded cable (2-wire): Used to connect the 23-position signal connector to the motor resolver connections excitation signals.
- Low-voltage shielded cable (21-wire): Used to connect the 23-position signal connector to the motor resolver sense signals, CAN, signals, etc.
40-pin cable: 40-pin flat ribbon cable with two male connectors to connect the EV- CONTROLEVMHD MCU control board to the EV-POWEREVBHDBT driver
- Board stand-offs: To provide mechanical support for the components.
1.3 Windows PC Workstation
This reference platform requires a Windows PC workstation. Meeting these minimum specifications should produce great results when working with this reference platform.
- Windows 10, 8 or 7 compatible PC with two available USB ports
The software listed below must be installed prior to working with this reference design. All listed software is available on an NXP secured site. To gain access to the
secured site, use the registration code provided in the hardware shipment. The software bundle includes the actual application software that runs on the EV-INVERTERHDBT
IGBT enablement kit. Customers who purchase the EV-INVERTERHDBT enablement kit receive instructions on how to download the software.
- S32 Design Studio IDE V2.1 for Power Architecture
- Automotive Math and Motor Control Library (AMMCL)
- FreeMASTER 3.0 runtime debugging tool
- Motor Control Application Tuning (MCAT)
- Example code, GD3160 Device Driver notes and GD3160 Device Driver Reference notes